Finding the perfect leather strap is never easy and it can be downright confounding. With a plethora of websites and online stores offering several types to choose from, making the perfect choice is critical. The perfect black leather watch strap, for instance, can add elegance, class and style to a wrist watch and leather straps are the most sought after.
Two Major Types of Leather
There are two primary types of leather used for watch straps, particularly, bonded leather and top grain leather.
- Bonded leather: Generally perceived to be of lower quality, bonded leather is manufacturer by using waste products of leather processing, which are re-constituted to produce a cheaper leather alternative. It has a characteristic synthetic feel and is generally not long lasting.
- Top-grain leather: Top grain-leather, also known as corrected leather is the highest quality of leather available. Straps are derived from a single leather hide, which makes them more durable than their bonded leather counterparts. The leather surface is usually buffed or sanded to remove or hide the natural marks of the animal skin. Many such leather straps come with a softer layer of leather, attached to the underside. This makes it sweat resistant, as well as comfortable for the user.
Below are a few points that will help you to spot a good leather strap for your wrist watch when you see it.
- Looking at the catalogue: Any watch store or website will have a wide range of options available for straps, including non-leather ones. Choosing from a catalogue can help narrow down choices. Make sure that the strap has been photographed from several angles to give you a better understanding of its quality.
- Initial physical assessment: A lot of customers prefer examining the strap with their own eyes before making the final purchase. Check to see if the stitching is in order and is high quality machine stitching.
- Go for a reputed brand: Going for a popular or reputed brand can save you the hassle of examining a product before purchase. There are many manufacturers who are known to produce long lasting leather straps that will go the distance.
- Consider the possibility of an allergic reaction: Many people tend to develop allergies if they use a particular type of leather. Allergies are very common, resulting from skin contact and many manufacturers are taking preventive measures to make the bands allergy-safe. Check to see if the leather used has been treated properly with anti-allergic elements before selection. The buckles should be nickel-free or plastic, and should not cause any discomfort when coming in contact with your skin.
- Application: The type and quality of leather straps also depend a lot on the use of the watch. For buying a watch for dressier or formal occasions, you can focus more on the aesthetic appeal rather than functionality. There are leather straps that are beautifully designed but are not suitable for frequent use. For everyday use however, a stronger leather strap is required, which can withstand the rigour of day-to-day activities.
- Getting customer feedback: Customers normally go for leather straps because of its long lasting capabilities. Initial assessments cannot guarantee whether a strap can withstand the wear and tear of regular life. Thus, getting customer feedback can be a useful resource. An individual who has purchased a similar type of strap from the same manufacturer and has been using it for an extended period of time, can offer insights on its quality. He or she will know whether it’s a good purchase or not from personal experience.
Selecting the perfect leather strap is necessary to complete the look and feel of a particular model of watch. The above points can give readers a better understanding of leather strap selection.